Pages

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies: Not completely gluten free



I’ve made a version of peanut cookies and they were ok, but these are amazing. So amazing that I went out to get 4 more jars of peanut butter after I tasted these. They were originally made for my lovely friend Mykel because he has coeliac disease and I was super excited to give him this tasty treat. But after my excited announcement, I was super bummed to learn Australians with gluten intolerance can’t eat oats!
 According to Cookie and Kate, these cookies are gluten free because they are made with “gluten free” oats and oat flour instead of wheat. It turns out oats aren't classified as gluten free in Australia and 1 in 5 people who are diagnosed with coeliac disease can’t digest oats either.

In America the theory is that oats aren’t a form of gluten, it’s because they are contaminated by things like wheat which make them unsafe to eat by people with gluten intolerance. In America you can buy “gluten free oats” which are uncontaminated by other forms of gluten. In Australia, manufacturers aren’t allowed to advertise any oats as gluten free. You can read more about it here.

The acronym (in Australia) for some things that contain gluten is BROW; barley, rye, oats and wheat. I’ll keep that in mind next time. (Sorry Mykel!)

So if you aren’t gluten intolerant in Australia, or allergic to peanuts (Sorry Mervin) make these. They will make your day.

You can get the recipe here from Cookie and Kate.


Thanks for reading!
Jen

1 comment: