Pages

Pecan Melts and Some Blogging Advice (From the Experts)



I am a baker. I love the process from picking a recipe to scouring for ingredients, to placing a tray of sweet batter into the oven. The best part, of course, is to share the end product with my family, people at work, or the never-full always-hungry food monster that is my boyfriend.


But there is another part of the process I love too. Sharing the recipe so that others can benefit from it as well. I explained to Kate how to make an easy Spaghetti Carbonara and it meant her housemate was able to make the dish from scratch for a fraction of the price than from the shops.

This is why I want to keep the blog going. I think I lost sight of that and so the blogging stopped too. But if I can show my peers how to make cooking simple and fun I think that's a good day. So I decided to look up some advice on how to write a successful blog and here are the top tips I want to focus on these next few weeks while I get it going again:

1. Keep it Simple - simple stories, simple recipes for the students/hard workers/social butterflies that I call my friends
2. Make it a routine - incorporate blogging into everyday. Get into a habit of writing as much as possible. (Note to self, don't let that journalism degree go to waste)
3. Write for your readers - well right now it's mainly my friends so, dear friends, let me know what you want to see on this space :)

Here are some links with advice from my favourite bloggers that I have been reading up on:

Recipe: Pecan Melts

Perfect to share with tea on a super blustery, hair stuck in your lip balm, inside-out umbrella kind of  Melbourne day.

Source:  Pecan and honey melt-in-the-mouths by Belinda Jeffrey in Desserts

Makes: About 25

125g butter, at room temperature
1/4 Cup (40g) icing sugar, sifted
3 teaspoons honey (I used golden syrup which also worked)
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/3 cup (40g) chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Extra icing sugar, to dust at the end

1. Prep:  Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper

2. Mix: Butter & icing sugar & honey. Beat for 3-4 minutes. Until light and fluffy. You know the drill.

3. Add:  Flour, pecans & vanilla. Mix to combine.

4. Drop: Teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking trays, with some spreading space

5. Bake: 16-18 minutes, edges should be a slightly darker brown.

6. Cool: On sheets

7. Sprinkle: With icing sugar and serve.



From Jen 

No comments:

Post a Comment